April 4, 2022
Now more than ever, it is important to remember that we can all do our part in helping the environment. At Enduric Plumbing, we believe in finding solutions that can fit any lifestyle. While for some it means simply using less water for daily tasks, like shaving or brushing your teeth, for others, it can mean making use of high efficiency fixtures. In this article, you will find a few tips that anyone can take advantage of to help the environment and possibly save some money.
Eco-Friendly Plumbing Tips:
Toilets can range in flushing capacity from .6 gallons to 4.5 gallons. Newer plumbing systems that use a low flow toilet will be better for the environment and save you money on your water bill. Low flow toilets should only be used on modern plumbing systems, older plumbing systems need a higher flush capacity because more water is needed to keep the drain from blocking up. Do not place items like bricks or bottles in the tank to reduce the flush. Doing so will void most manufacturer warranties. The flush level can be adjusted with the fill valve.
Dual flush toilets are an environmentally friendly alternative to low flush toilets. Dual flush toilets offer two flushing capacities for liquid or solid waste.
Flushable wipes do not break down when flushed causing pollution and costly repairs. While a bidet uses more water, it reduces the amount of toilet paper needed and can be a better and more eco friendly option over flushable wipes.
High Efficiency Faucets
Go green and save money by using lower flow faucets. Turn off the water between hygiene tasks like washing your face, brushing your teeth and shaving.
Energy efficient appliances
- Water Heaters:
- When purchasing a new water heater, look for the ENERGYSTAR certification.
- Tankless water heaters only run when in use rather than having to maintain an internal temperature like a standard tank water heater. Tankless water heaters use less fuel to heat the same amount of water.
- Hybrid electric water heaters utilize heat pump technology to heat water with the heat in the space it’s installed. Hybrid electric water heaters are most beneficial in warmer climates where air temperature is higher. They can utilize electricity and air temperature at the same time to consume less electricity. Hybrids are typically “smart” allowing them to be programmed to meet needs in high use timeframes.
- Recirculation pumps help to eliminate water waste so you don’t have to run the water for as long as you wait for it to get warm at the fixture. Many tank and tankless water heaters can be used with a recirculation pump making it a viable option for almost any situation.
- Some utility providers offer rebates when tankless or hybrid systems are installed by a licensed plumber. Check with your utility provider for details.
- Washing Machines and Dishwashers:
- High efficiency washing machines and dishwashers can help reduce water and energy usage. You can use less soap or a concentrated soap in high efficiency appliances. Make sure you consult your user manual to ensure you use the correct type and amount of cleaning solution for your appliance.
- Cleaning your appliances regularly can extend the life of the appliance, in turn cutting down on the amount of appliances that go into landfills prematurely. Having an appliance repaired by a certified repairman versus installing a new appliance can help keep waste out of landfills as well.
- Use the appropriate settings on appliances to match water consumption with the capacity of things you are cleaning.
- Rainwater collection systems
- Using rainwater collection for irrigation instead of using city water can have multiple benefits. A rainwater collection system is cheaper to use even with the initial setup being more costly. It is a more eco-friendly option and you don’t have to worry about a pipe bursting or leaking causing an outrageous or increased water bill. Be sure to check with your local and state laws on collecting rain water before getting started. Contact a local irrigation specialist for more information.
Contact Enduric Plumbing for Eco-Friendly Plumbing Fixtures
At Enduric Plumbing, we strive to offer eco-friendly plumbing options that will work for your lifestyle. We recycle as much as possible when removing old plumbing material for our residential and commercial clients and our technicians are continually researching new plumbing technology and systems to reduce our environmental impact. If you’re looking to get more environmentally friendly plumbing fixtures installed, contact us today!